EASY HEATLESS CURLS

11:21


I was recently given the opportunity to test out UniCurler*, a hair bandana that helps you achieve heat free curls. As  I like to keep my hair as healthy as possible, I was intrigued by the idea. It also looked like it required minimum effort on my behalf, which is something I always welcome. Here are my thoughts:

1) EASE OF USE


The full set of instructions for using the UniCurler can be found here but to put it simply, you place the bandana around your head and wrap your hair around it, before leaving it for a recommended time of 7+ hours.



Why not just use a headband? Firstly, the UniCurler has velcro around its sides, making sure that your hair doesn't slip during the time that it's on. This is especially useful if you'll be using it overnight, as you tend to move around in your sleep. Furthermore, the bandana is also padded which not only makes it comfortable to sleep on, but also ensures the uniformity of your curls.

However, the downside to the velcro is that if you get stuck wrapping your hair around the bandana, it's very hard to correct. I had to pull my hair a couple of times when I went wrong, which can't be good for breakage.

2) PRACTICALITY


The UniCurler is certainly good in the sense that it only takes 5 minutes to put on. However, it does require forward planning because you can't just decide to have curly hair right there and then, which makes it slightly impractical in that sense.

Furthermore, it is recommended to be used straight after blow drying your hair. This meant that I had to figure out when I would wash my hair and be able to stay in for my curls to set, which makes it impossible to use on most days as I am out of the house. It would be easier if you could use it without blow drying your hair, but I'm not sure the same results would be achieved.

Finally, seven hours is a long time to wait, but this is understandable for heatless curls.

3) RESULTS



Initially, I was very disappointed. My hair came out crazy and one side looked more curled than the other. However, after playing around and twisting my hair a bit (like recommended), I was very pleased with my curls, which like I'd just had a wavy blow dry.

My curls also had a really nice 'bounce' and volume to it but unfortunately, even after hair spray, they fell out in an hour or so. This was just from being at home, so I can't imagine it lasting five minutes if I was outside in the wind! Perhaps I need a stronger hairspray?

4) OVERALL IMPRESSION


Overall, I'd say that the UniCurler is incredibly easy to use, but I find the concept slightly impractical. After this, I aim to try it on second day hair so if that works, I'd probably be a little more impressed (I'll post what I think on Twitter). In the future, I still think I'll be sticking to my curling wand. However, if I  have time on my hands, fancy giving my hair a break or having more voluminous curls, I'll be opting for the UniCurler.

What are your thoughts? Have you used anything like this before?

Follow

DISCLAIMER: This post is not sponsored. Items marked (*) are gifted, bought with vouchers or have been sent. All opinions are honest and my own.

You Might Also Like

27 comments

  1. I fancied trying this, if your curls not lasted an hour mine won't last at all though my hair is super fine
    Lauren
    livinginaboxx | bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. probably best to stick to using heat and good a heat protector spray!

      xx

      Delete
  2. I had something similar which I loved but lost so am looking for something else, but it's not much good if the curls don't stay in. You hair looks lovely though!

    Anoushka Probyn - A London Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know! it's such a shame they don't as they're really nice :(

      xx

      Delete
  3. Great tip! I will definitely try it! I loved the result, your hair looks great and it looks very easy to use. That's something that I need!

    Vanessa, xo!

    http://thefashionstatement.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! would love to know how you get on :)

      xx

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing this review, I've been wanting to try this and wonder if it would work on me... My hair is nowhere near as thick as yours is (unfortunately). So I wonder if that would make it curl more.

    Rachael | rachaelburgess.com | Instagram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh maybe! let me know how it goes if you try it out :) i'd recommend a super strong hairspray if you have fine hair though

      xx

      Delete
  5. Such a nice tutorial and I love those curls

    xoxo,
    http://petitemaisonoffashion.blogspot.com/ ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your hair looks great. I like finding new methods to create heatless waves.

    xo
    http://www.carinavardie.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much my dear :D You really have to try!

    Ohn, you look so pretty :# I really love this kind of hairstyles :D

    NEW TIPS POST | Tips To Make Your Hair Lighter.
    InstagramFacebook Oficial PageMiguel Gouveia / Blog Pieces Of Me :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you as always, miguel!

      xx

      Delete
  8. Love the idea of this, but I bet it wouldn't work on my hair, it's too thick and never does what I want it to do! Your hair looks lovely curled :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, that's a shame :( thank you, lovely!

      xx

      Delete
  9. I've been damaging my hair with soo much heat! I love that you can get such gorgeous curls without damaging your hair!

    www.thebeautydojo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too! always up for a heatless way of doing things :)

      xx

      Delete
  10. Your hairs are really beautiful <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you shared this - I think I may stick to the curling wand then ;)

    -Clarissa @ The View From Here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, that's fair enough! don't blame you ;)

      xx

      Delete
  12. Your hair looks lovely, thank you for sharing!

    Lauren x | http://www.huggled.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have curly hair naturally, but these look beautiful! I love the look of the curls!

    Abby Talks

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Click here to follow me on Bloglovin' or click here to tweet me @AbsolutelySX!