UNI TIPS • HOW TO FIND CHEAPER TRAIN TICKETS

13:11


As a fresher who lives 3 hours away from home, I have quickly come to realise that train tickets are extremely expensive. To make matters worse, January saw a train fare price hike, and given that students are on a strict budget as it is, it wasn't really something I was too happy about. In fact, as I write this I am on a train journey which has cost me a heartbreaking £60! So if you're like me and like visiting home often, I recommend having a read of my top money saving tips below.

1. GET A RAILCARD

A 16-25 railcard will save you up to 30% on train tickets, which can be a substantial discount when your usual ticket might cost £80. Although they cost £30 a year, you'll most likely get this back through savings on one return journey, depending on how far you travel. If you want even better value for money, you can get a three year card which costs you £70, which saves you £20 if my maths is correct. This year, Santander offered a free railcard for people who opened a student account with them, so this is something to also consider.

2. BOOK IN ADVANCE

If there's anything you should be organised about at university, I'd recommend train tickets. Booking up to 12 weeks in advance can save you up to 80% according Raileasy. I understand that this may be hard for those who haven't got such a flexible timetable, but it's worth just buying tickets for when you'll definitely be home as it'll still save you something. If you're lucky and have 'reading' weeks, you can also look ahead on your timetable to see when those are and book tickets early!

3. RAILEASY ADVANCED OPTIONS

Raileasy is my go-to booking site as I find it always has the best deals. Under their 'advanced options' button, there is a 'find the cheapest fares throughout the day' filter. If you are flexible, this is great as you can just pick to travel at the cheapest time.

4. TICKET SPLITTING

Along with the advanced options, I like to use Raileasy's ticket splitting tool (you can find more information about the service here). Usually, I'll start by finding the cheapest time to travel and then split that ticket by putting the times I found into the tool. This approximately saves me a further £10, on top of the £30 I already save with my railcard! Pretty good right? Obviously savings will depend on each individual journey, but it's always worth a shot. However, always check the prices between the full and split ticket prices as occasionally, the full ticket can be cheaper.



Hope this is useful. If you decide to follow this, I'd love to know how much you saved! Or if you have any other tips, please share them below.

This post is not affiliated with or sponsored by Raileasy. I just think they are a great website and wanted to share my tips with you all!

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. Really great tips, I always used to get the coach home from my uni before I had a car because it was soooo much cheaper than the train. Trains are ridiculously expensive!

    The Velvet Black | UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. in an ideal world, i would take a coach too as it's definitely cheaper! but i don't think i'm cut out for sitting on one for 5 hours haha

      Delete
  2. Ouch £60 for a train ride, unless I was desperate I would only pay that (Like stuck on a night out) these are some great tips, rail cards are good!

    Meme xx

    New post:
    'What Big Eye's You Have//Firmoo Eyewear Giveaway*
    www.thedayinthelifeof.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. in all fairness, i booked those last minute so usually it would be more around £40, give or take a few pounds. but yeah, it's still a big expense for a student :(

      Delete
  3. This is great advice and not just for students! Booking as far in advance as possible has saved me a lot of money before now, but I'm going to take a look at Raileasy too. Thanks for the tips! x

    Kate Louise Blogs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. let me know how you get on :) cannot recommend that website enough!

      Delete
  4. So helpful, thanks for sharing! I really like your blog, let me know if you would like to follow each other! x

    adelelydia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Click here to follow me on Bloglovin' or click here to tweet me @AbsolutelySX!