AW15 • SHE'S THE MAN

22:02


The second instalment of my AW15 trend round up centres around the 'tomboyish' influences seen across the catwalks this season. As someone who likes to keep things pretty minimal, this trend easily makes it into my top two favourites. I especially love the predominantly neutral colours, structured silhouettes and getting that perfect masculine/feminine balance. For this post, I've decided to put together a list of my five wardrobe essentials for this trend below. 


If you live in the UK, you'll know that warm outwear is an essential all year round. Lately, I've been loving longer coats and trenches as not only do they keep your body warm, but your legs too! Which is great for someone who is ALWAYS cold... The oversized but structured fit also means that you can layer as many knits underneath as your heart desires to keep you cosy throughout the winter months.



When living in a world of skinny jeans, culottes and wide leg trousers can seem like a scary concept for some. Admittedly, my first reaction was "I wouldn't be seen dead in those", but minds can change and mine certainly did. I think they're incredibly classy and elegant, and slightly androgynous - perfect for this trend!

Both pairs from ASOS centre around an autumnal colour palette. However if you're feeling a little braver, the graphic print ASOS pair are amazing. I especially love the bold contrast between army green and white, which is somewhat statemented but still muted enough for, say, the workplace. On the other hand, if you're a first time wearer, the 'tobacco' coloured ASOS pair is probably a better option; the natural tone coupled with the soft fall of the fabric is far less daunting to wear. The tie at the waist also makes it more flattering by pulling in your waist. 

For me, I'd probably opt for the one of the final two. I love the River Island pair as not only does it have stripes (!) but the fact that they're vertical will be very flattering for my short legs. The Zara pair is also a favourite as the light grey and dainty floral print gives them a soft, delicate look which I love.


The double breasted jacket and slightly flared trousers from the Topshop set makes it more conventional than the rest. However, the salmon shade gives it a contemporary twist that is far more exciting that the darker, pinstriped suits we normally see. Who says soft, sugar shades have to stay in the summer? 

The tapered nature of the ASOS petite and premium pieces make them a preferable choice for keeping your silhouette a little on the feminine side. The petite piece is also a great example of how even those who are on the shorter side can wear this trend without feeling 'swamped' by the large coats and loosely fitting trousers. As you can see, the trousers sit higher on the waist and the jacket cuts off at a higher place, making it more flattering for people below 5'3". 

Although the Missguided set is the most modern and least 'tailored' take on a classic trouser suit, I love it. It's probably one to wear in warmer climates given the airy fit and sleeveless jacket, however layering a chunky turtleneck jumper underneath would definitely keep you warm. Not to mention how you could fit so many layers of tights under those loosely fitted trousers!


As with the previous two wardrobe essentials, I've put together a selection of white shirts depending on what look you're going for. Evidently, the first two shirts are closer to the classic shape, but having said that, they still have a modern take; the Selected shirt is cropped, has a boxy fit and 1/2 sleeves. On the other hand, the Zara shirt has subtler details such as the longer back and textured upper chest.

Although this Urban Outfitters 'shirt' is technically a blouse, I thought it still worked well with this trend while drawing on Victorian influences that have also been seen across catwalks. However, as opposed to the huge ruffles and frills that were symbolic of the era, this blouse is a lot more subdued with a simple bow. 


A good pair of heels is a definite must in this trend and my favourite pair are these from Senso. I love the pointed toe, lace up feature and the interesting lizard texture which I haven't really seen before. I imagine the block heel to be super comfortable too, and the fact that they're a greyish tone means they'll go with pretty much everything in my wardrobe!

Links: Windsor Smith, Lipsy and ASOS.



Which pieces are your favourites?

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. I love the first pair of heels from the left!!
    Sarah, my rings from my previous post are from Aldo shoes :)

    xoxo,
    Winn | ♥
    winscribbles.blogspot.com | let's instagram!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much for getting back to me!

      Delete
  2. Great selection!

    <3

    https://recklesslyfair.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Click here to follow me on Bloglovin' or click here to tweet me @AbsolutelySX!